Friday, June 23, 2006

What the HELL are the Supremes smoking NOW?

This was buried in the International Section of my local paper today, in a little blurb under the ruling that the US Supreme Court decided employees could sue for monetary damages even if none are incurred due to retaliation for sexual harrassment suits (snore, I know, just giving the background here). In a one sentence blurb under this long-ass boring article about the above case, it appears the USSC has decided to make current laws *RETROACTIVE* - - this is BIG reversal for them and for US law, and *not* a good move. Apparently, an illegal immigrant who has lived here for 20 years (for non-math people, that is since 1986) will be deported under the laws made in 1996 that restrict immigrants, even though his presence in the USA superceded that ruling by a decade. They ruled 8-1 to uphold his deportation, so I guess it is back to Mexico he jaunts... My sleepy paper doesn't name the case so I have some searching to do to get the TOTAL facts here, but on the surface it makes me bristle because it has always been a cornerstone of American jurisprudence to NOT apply laws retro-actively, so this blurb made me take notice.... It also makes me wonder which Justice was the lone stand-out (that takes courage in my book). If I track the story down, I'll update - - but in the meantime, this makes me very worried. I am such a Libbie's Lib :)

3 Comments:

Blogger DesignedByLucinda said...

And if anyone can figure out why my posts are NOT showing up on my home page but only on the archive page, I will either kiss you or send you handmade earrings - - I need some help here! My posts are only under archives (big pout).....

8:32 PM  
Blogger Donna @ Snowbound said...

I'm not sure what you mean, the homepage all looks good to me!

9:30 PM  
Blogger ©Jac said...

Those judges sure have been busy! Did you get the ole bloggeroo figured out? Maybe ask on the NOTI blog forum?

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home